Sunday, February 15, 2009

Last Night's Dream...

Everyone that knows me knows I have some STRANGE dreams. Last night wasn't in the top 10 strange but anyway here it is...


I had a dream I was delivering someone's baby.
Why did I dream this? Well I did watch the Andy Griffith episode recently where Andy delivered a baby in the thunderstorm.


So in my dream I had to explain to myself where the head was and where the butt was in the Mom's belly. This was the criteria to determine if I had the skills to deliver the baby.


Then I got the baby out and I immediately suctioned it. (Only an RT would dream of suctioning a patient.) But there was no yankauer in the room. So I had to rig one up Macgyver style with what I had in the room. Anyway, the stuff I was suctioning was really white and thick. (Of course and RT will describe what she suctioned.) And I didn't have to intubate the baby because it was doing well. But it never cried. It was just happy. And the whole time I was doing this procedure in my dream I kept thinking "OH GOD is THIS what I learned in class" I kept saying that to myself over and over. And I thought, I know that the baby needs to take a deep breath and scream and cry to get enough oxygen and for the DA to close, but this baby is not screaming and crying, but the oxygen is fine... "what did I learn about this in class" "Why are they letting me deliver a baby" "Am I doing everything right" "Did I forget something really important"


Then after it was over and I woke up, I was thinking about it. And I thought, you know, what would normal people think or do with a new baby? They would see if it is a boy or a girl, they would count the fingers or toes, they would think how cute it is and they would want to hold it or give it to the mother. But what did I think? I never looked to see if it was a boy or a girl, I don't know if it had all its fingers. I don't know if it was even cute. All I could think of is keeping the baby alive. And I did it and it was over. I guess the whole concept of keeping emotional distance from patients is turning in to a subconscience thing...?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin